Jump to Pizza Recipe
Pizza is a crucial part of maintaining happiness, in our household anyway. So achieving keto pizza perfection was a mission of utmost importance. I tested out several different versions and variations of keto pizza crust before I landed on this one. It has a great texture that crisps up and stands up to the delicious sauce and toppings I like to add.
This recipe combines pesto (a perfect keto-friendly condiment) with bacon (keto’s flagship cured meat), a sprinkle of green onions, caramelized garlic, mozzarella cheese, and sweet fresh basil.
Why You Will Love This Keto Pizza Recipe
- Because EVERYBODY loves pizza!
- Pesto only has 1g net carbs
- This pizza dough hits all the right notes
What You Will Need
- Cookie sheet or pizza stone
- Mixing bowl
- Stirring spoon
- Rolling pin
- Parchment paper
- Cooking spray
How To Make Keto Pizza
Fathead dough has been around for awhile, but I had not tried it until recently. I feel a little silly now because it is both easy to make, and has a taste and texture that is very similar to a glutenous pizza crust.
Most fathead dough recipes rely solely on almond flour, but I prefer the texture that is achieved by combining almond and coconut flours. It took a little tweaking, but I found a good ratio that worked for a fathead dough pizza.
To get the cream cheese and mozzarella well incorporated, I found that cubing the cream cheese into smaller pieces before microwaving helped. I microwaved once, stirred, zapped it again, then did a final stir.
Another pro tip, spray your parchment paper with cooking spray! This will make your life a lot easier when you put your crust in between the 2 pieces of parchment paper to roll it out.
A cookie sheet will work to bake your keto pizza, but a pizza stone can help cook your pizza more evenly and allows the bottom to crisp up.
Keto Pesto Pizza
Keto Pesto Pizza
- pizza stone
- 2-4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 pieces bacon diced
- 2 green onions diced
- 2 tsp fresh basil chopped
- 2 cloves caramelized garlic chopped
- ¼ cup basil pesto
- ¾ cup mozzarella
For the Fathead Dough
- 1 cup mozzarella
- 1 tbsp cream chees
- ⅓ cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 whole egg
- pinch salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp Italian herbs
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 450°
- Combine 2 cloves of garlic and olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Bring to a very low simmer. Continue cooking until the garlic is golden and soft.
Fathead Dough Pizza Crust
- Combine 1 cup of mozzarella and 1 tbsp of cream cheese (cubed) into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 40 seconds, then stir. Microwave for 30 more seconds and stir until the mixture is smooth and well incorporated.
- Add ⅓ cup of almond flour. 1 tbsp of coconut flour, 1 egg, 1/2 tsp of baking powder, garlic powder, and Italian herbs. Mix well.
- Transfer the dough to a large piece of parchment paper that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Spray another sheet of parchment paper and lay it over the top of the dough.
- Roll the dough out using a rolling pin. Once you reach the desired size use your hands to create a lip around the edge.
- Transfer to a baking sheet or pizza stone and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden.
Make it a Pizza!
- Remove from the oven. Load with all of the toppings, and bake for 5-8 minutes more or until the desired level of crispiness is achieved!
This pizza recipe has a low net carb count, so you can enjoy pizza night in your household without exceeding your limit. Pesto on pizza is my personal favorite, but the sky is the limit! Tell me how you decided to enjoy this delicious keto pizza crust in the comments! As always, happy snacking!
I receive commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no cost to you.
oh this pizza was crazy good. totally satisfying
Jan, I am glad you liked it!
I had never made keto pizza dough before. Usually, I go with the classic one. But this recipe thrilled me, it’s delicious, thanks!
Beautiful pizza!! I love the cheesy crisp crust! Thanks for sharing – Pinned!
Helen, the crust really does crisp up nicely! You are welcome!