This indulgent creamy “risotto” recipe is so delicious you will completely forget that the carbs are absent. The riced cauliflower is tossed in olive oil and spices and roasted in the oven to add a nutty caramelized flavor. Then it is combined with earthy mushrooms, bright green onions, spicy garlic, and spinach. Once these ingredients get tossed together in a sauce made from heavy cream, cream cheese, butter, and parmesan, this creamy cauliflower mushroom and spinach “risotto” becomes a decadent dish that could stand in the spotlight or be a sidekick with pizazz!
Why You Will Love This Risotto
- Creamy dreamy sauce that brings the whole dish together.
- Roasted cauliflower adds a nutty, caramelized flavor dimension.
- A serving of leafy greens disguised as a naughty indulgence!
- Pairs well with all kinds of entrees!
What You Will Need
Let’s Get Cooking
To make perfect cauliflower rice I like to vary the size of my pieces to create different textures. The slightly bigger pieces will have more crunch and the smaller bits will be softer. To achieve this, I process some of the cauliflower in a blender, pulsing not blending furiously… Then I hand chop some of the cauliflower.
Once I have all of my cauliflower riced, I toss it in olive oil and spices and spread it out evenly on a sheet pan. Then it is off to the oven to develop those roasty, toasty, caramelized flavors. For this dish, I used HOLY GARLIC! This stuff is bursting with flavor. Sometimes I like to build my own spice profiles, but often it is easier to leave it to the professionals! And they knocked it out of the park with this one! Give it a try. You won’t be disappointed!
The cauliflower roasts in the oven for about 25-30 minutes at 425 degrees. You should stir about every 10 minutes to allow it to brown up nice and evenly.
While that is cooking away, you can chop up the veggies and start them frying on the stovetop. Once they are cooked it is as simple as allowing some heavy cream to reach a simmer, season it up, let it reduce a smidge, add cream cheese, stir until incorporated, repeat with some parmesan, taste it and adjust your seasonings as you see fit (this is one of those, keep seasoning until the spirits of your ancestors whisper “stop child”, situations). I have included some amounts for the spices in the recipe card below, but feel free to adjust to your preferences!
Creamy Cauliflower Mushroom and Spinach “Risotto” Recipe
Creamy Cauliflower Mushroom and Spinach “Risotto”
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Fire and Smoke's Holy Garlic herb blend or your favorite herb blend
- 1 package mushrooms
- 4 green onions save the green parts for garnish
- 3 clove garlic diced
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp cream cheese
- 3-4 tbsp parmesan cheese
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
Roasted Cauliflower Rice
- Pre-heat the oven to 425°
- Chop the cauliflower or pulse it in the blender until it is approximately the size of grains of rice.
- Toss the rice with olive oil, salt, pepper, and the herb blend. Then spread it out evenly on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Heat a table spoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Sautee the mushrooms and the white parts of the green onions for about 3 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender. Add the garlic and sautee until fragrant, then add the spinach and cook until it wilts.
- Add the roasted cauliflower rice to this mixture.
- Combine the heavy cream and butter and simmer 10 to 15 minutes to reduce it.
- Add 3 tablespoons of cream cheese, salt, onion powder, and garlic powder, and stir until the cream cheese is incorporated.
- Add 3 to 4 tablespoons of parmesan cheese and stir until the cheese is well incorporated.
- Pour this sauce over the cauliflower rice and the mix-ins and stir until everything is well coated. Garnish with the diced green parts of the scallions.
I would pair this rich risotto with a whole roasted chicken and a beautiful green salad for a stunning keto dinner party! So, get out your fine china and the fancy silverware and take some pictures of your dinner to share!
As always, happy snacking!
I receive commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no cost to you.