This keto biscuit manages to be tender, and a little flaky, with a nice chew to it due to the addition of the shredded cheddar. My son LOVES cheesy garlic biscuits of the glutenous variety, he loved this recipe, and I think you will too!
Why You Will Love These Biscuits
- They pair well with most dinner entrees.
- Family friendly
- They make lovely little breakfast sandwiches!
What You Will Need
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Mixing Bowl
- Wooden Spoon
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Knife or a Pastry Blender
- Cheese Grater
How to Make These Biscuits
The most crucial part of preparing this biscuit recipe is to chill out! That is to say, keep all of your ingredients cold, use really cold butter, and chill the dough before baking. This is the same process I use when making my Keto Scones, and it is such an important step! For a complete set of instructions on this whole process see the recipe card below.
The cold butter in a biscuit contributes to the rise and the texture of this baked good by melting and releasing steam during baking. If the butter is too warm and incorporated into the dry ingredients there will be no pockets of butter and steam.
Another key aspect of this recipe is the binders. I wanted a sturdy enough biscuit that I could use them to make breakfast sandwiches. Often gluten-free baked goods are very delicate because they lack the glutenous proteins that bind them together. Cue the xanthan gum and ground psyllium husk! I doubled down on binders to ensure that my sammys could keep it together!
One last note, Sift your dry ingredients! This ensures that there are no lumps in your flour alternatives and allows your salt, baking powder, xanthan gum, and psyllium husk powder to get more evenly distributed.
Keto Cheddar Garlic Biscuits
Keto Cheddar Garlic Biscuits
- pastry blender
- 1¼ cups almond flour sifted
- ½ cup coconut flour sifted
- 1 tsp xanthan gum sifted
- 2 tbsp psyllium husk powder sifted
- 1 tsp salt sifted
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ⅓ cup very cold butter cut into pea-sized pieces or incorporated using a pastry blender
- 7 tbsp heavy cream
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup shredded cheddar shred your own!
- Place a mixing bowl in the freezer ahead of time to ensure your ingredients remain cool while you are working.
- Preheat the oven to 400° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Sift and combine all of the dry ingredients in your chilled bowl. Place the bowl in the fridge.
- Use a knife to cut up the butter into pea-sized pieces and stir them into the dry ingredients. Place the bowl back in the fridge.
- In another bowl combine 2 egg whites and lightly beat them. Add the heavy cream to the egg whites.
- Incorporate the cheddar cheese into the dry ingredients, but reserve a small amount to sprinkle on the top of the biscuits.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Form the dough into a log and place it on parchment paper. Place your dough in the freezer and chill for a minimum of 20 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the freezer. Cut 8 equal discs and place them on a lined baking sheet. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of each biscuit.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes until golden.
I paired these yummy keto biscuits with my family friendly keto meatloaf. You can get that recipe here!
Let me know in the comments below what you fixed with your keto biscuits, and as always, happy snacking!
I receive commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no cost to you.