Jump To Taco Recipe
These keto taco boats come together in under 30 minutes making them perfect for a busy weeknight dinner or a quick lunch! Making your own taco seasoning will help you avoid the pesky added cabs in pre-packaged taco seasoning, and it tastes better too (because of my secret ingredient). This recipe includes chorizo in addition to ground beef, and it really elevates the flavor. These low-carb and keto-friendly tacos mean we are taking back taco Tuesdays!
Why You Will Love This Taco Recipe
- Tacos without all of the carbs! TACOS!
- Quick and easy!
- Chorizo and fresh guacamole with queso fresco = tons of flavor!
- A pinch of cinnamon in the homemade taco seasoning makes these tacos so good!
What You Will Need
- cutting board
- citrus juicer
- 2 small bowls for the guac and the taco seasoning
- measuring spoons
Making Keto Taco Boats
These taco boats come together so quickly and easily! You will need some romaine lettuce, and you can buy it already prepared or just get a head of romaine and wash and cut it yourself. You could also buy guacamole in the store, but the fresh stuff is SO MUCH BETTER, that I strongly recommend making your own! It is pretty quick and painless and the end result pays off.
When Frying up the taco meat, I start with the chorizo to get it crispy before adding the hamburger onions, and finally, the garlic. I like to make up a large batch of taco seasoning so that I can keep some in the cupboard for later use. Once the meat and onions have cooked thoroughly, I add 2 or 3 tablespoons of the taco seasoning blend to the meat mixture with about a 1/4 cup of water and mix to coat everything evenly. You can add more or less seasoning depending on how much of a flavor punch you enjoy!
Once you have your lettuce boats, taco meat, and guacamole all ready then it is as easy as loading your boats up with savory, spicy meat and guac and adding some queso fresco and any other taco toppers that you prefer! For me, these are giving pickled jalapenos all day and maybe fresh cilantro (yes Jerilyn CILANTRO)!
These keto taco boats are made using lettuce in place of taco shells. This keeps this meal low carb and means you do not have to purchase any specialty keto products to get your keto taco fix, but if you are looking for a great keto taco shell I recommend Mr. Tortilla! You can grab them on Amazon. With only 1 gram of net carbs per serving these keto-friendly tortillas are a great taco Tuesday option!
This recipe is perfect whether you choose to enjoy it lovingly wrapped in lettuce or in the tender embrace of a low-carb tortilla! Tacos are an essential part of EVERY diet and a deeply personal experience, so however you choose to partake, just make sure that you are partaking.
Keto Taco Boats Recipe
Keto Taco Boats
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ½ lb. pork chorizo
- ½ yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- ¼ cup water
- 2-3 tbsp homemade taco seasoning
- 3 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 avocados
- 4 tbsp tomatoes diced
- 4 tbsp red onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 1 tbsp lime juice or to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional hot sauce (I usually use Tabasco) to taste
Lettuce Boats and Taco Toppers
- 10 large leaves of romaine
- queso fresco
- pickled jalapenos
- Mix all the spices for the taco seasoning. I like to make a double or triple batch and store the extra in an airtight container!
- Add the diced avocado, onion, tomato, and garlic to a bowl. Mash to desired consistency. Add lime juice, salt, pepper, and hot sauce and stir. Cover and store it in the fridge.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and cook until it begins to crisp. At that point add the hamburger and onions and cook until the hamburger is browned and no pink remains. This will take approximately 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant and soft.
- Add 1/4 cup of water and about 2-3 tbsp of the taco seasoning. Stir until well combined and allow the mixture to cook for about two minutes to allow the spices to open up. Remove from the heat.
- Scoop taco meat into the lettuce boats and top with guacamole, queso fresco, pickled jalapenos, and fresh cilantro!
If you try this recipe, and you should, head over to the Facebook group and tell us all about it! We are on Pinterest and Instagram too so check out our awesome content there!
As always, happy snacking!
I receive commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no cost to you.