Jump to Recipe
The Pound Cake
The pound cake is a recipe that dates back to the 1700s, which originally called for a pound of each ingredient flour, sugar, butter, and eggs. Considering that the keto diet is one of the only diets that allow for ingredients like butter and cream cheese, the pound cake should be the flagship dessert that is representative of this way of eating.
In my family, the cream cheese pound cake is a popular choice for birthdays and get-togethers. It is one of my personal favorites, so finding a suitable keto substitute for this family favorite was a mission of great importance! The cake needed to be dense, moist without being too wet, have a nice cake-like crumb, and that pure vanilla/cream cheese flavor that I love.
This cake has a simple flavor profile, that I find is best enjoyed with some simple keto whipped cream and fresh berries.
Developing the Recipe
I used a combination of almond and coconut flours to produce the best texture. To reduce the eggy flavor that can sometimes be associated with almond flour baked goods, I used 4 whole eggs and 3 egg whites, instead of relying solely on whole eggs.
I used xanthan gum to help bind the non-glutenous flours together and give the cake a nice crumb. If you are not a fan of xanthan gum you could bake this cake without it, it may just be more delicate.
I love monk fruit sweetener, so that is what I used in this cake. I find that it does not have the cooling sensation or bitter aftertaste that some other sweeteners produce. I am using Lakanto Monk Fruit Sweetener in my baked goods, and I love the results!
When this cake is done baking it will be moist. I recommend allowing it to cool completely before cutting into it. The cake will firm up and settle into a nicer texture as it cools!
You can bake this pound cake in a loaf pan if that is what you have, but we eat with our eyes, and baking a pound cake in a bundt cake pan produces the prettiest cake possible!
I added a little bit of almond extract to this cake. I love how it turned out. If you are not a fan of almond flavor you can stick with the vanilla and the flavor will not suffer at all!
Keto Cream Cheese Pound Cake
Keto Cream Cheese Pound Cake
- 1 Bundt Pan
- 1 Stand Mixer or electric hand mixer
- 2½ cups Almond Flour Sifted
- ½ cup Coconut Flour Sifted
- 2 tsp Baking Powder Sifted
- ½ tsp Salt Sifted
- 1½ tsp Xanthan Gum Sifted
- 1¼ cups Monk Fruit Sweetener Granulated
- 8 tbsp Butter at room temperature
- 8 oz Cream Cheese at room temperature
- 2 tbsp Heavy Cream
- 4 Whole Eggs
- 3 Egg Whites
- 3 tsp Vanilla
- 1 tsp Almond Extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Spray a bundt pan or a loaf pan with cooking spray or butter it well.
- Sift the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, salt, and the xanthan gum together in one bowl.
- In a stand mixer or using an electric hand mixer combine the cream cheese and butter until well mixed. Add the eggs one at a time. Then add the cream, vanilla, and sugar substitute to this mixture.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes until set. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool completely on a wire rack.
This cake is perfect when served up with some keto whipped cream and your favorite low-carb berries, and for me, it must be sitting next to a hot cup of black coffee. You can check out my notes for how to make keto whipped cream here! I hope you love this recipe as much as I do. Let me know in the comments below, and as always, happy snacking!
Delicious recpe for a cake! Thank you for sharing.
Just started keto and looking for dessert recipes. This was so delicious!
Glad I could help! My passion is baking, so dessert is my jam!
This whopping pound cake looks delicious. Great addtion to dessert menu for Keto deit.
Yum! This turned out delicious!
Oh yum, this keto pound cake is exactly what I need! Thanks!